Thursday, May 28, 2026

Combining an interest in "Shuggie Bain"

I have been reading Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. Great book, I recommend it to all. No book report here by me. Get it, borrow it, and read it!




Given the various settings described in the book, I want to learn a bit more about Scotland’s heavy industrial past, coal mining, iron, steel, and engineering.

So, if I survive the Tak Ma Doon up and down, I'll divert to the Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life in Coatbridge, I'll have to plan my departure time in Sterling to have a couple of hours at the Summerlee before it closes at 4PM.

Here's the suggested bike route from Sterling:


With a follow on to central Glasgow via NCR Route 75 (about 12 more miles)





I used my GenAI buddy to suggest a time to depart Stirling so that I can absorb all I intend to explore on this day. 

Suggested Timeline for Friday, June 26

  • 08:30 AM – Depart Stirling: Getting an early start allows you to tackle the climb while your legs are fresh.

  • 10:30 AM – Tak-Ma-Doon Summit: This allows for a 2-hour transit and climb from Stirling. You’ll have a solid 30 minutes to "ponder the view" across the Kelvin Valley toward the area that inspired Shuggie Bain.

  • 11:00 AM – Descend to Kilsyth/Coatbridge: The descent and the flatter miles toward Coatbridge should take about 1.5 to 2 hours.

  • 01:00 PM – Arrive at Summerlee Museum: Arriving by 1:00 PM gives you 3 full hours before the 4:00 PM closing time.

  • 04:00 PM – Depart for Glasgow: The final 11-mile leg into Glasgow along the canal and NCN 75 will take about an hour, getting you to your destination by 5:00 PM or 5:30 PM.

Why 3 Hours at Summerlee?

Given your interest in the "Pithead" world of Shuggie Bain, you will want ample time for:

  • The Cardowan Winding Wheel: Located outdoors, this is your primary "source of truth" for the colliery’s scale.

  • The Miners' Row: Walking through the 1980s-era house will provide a vivid domestic parallel to the book’s setting.

  • The Steam Winder: Seeing the inner workings of the mine’s machinery.






No comments:

Post a Comment