Friday, June 19, 2026

Day 1: Glasgow to Callander

After arriving at Glasgow airport late on Wednesday the 17th, I grabbed the last bus (#77) to the city center and stopped just a couple of blocks in Charing Cross from the Safe Stay hostel, a stop for bicyclists and Highlands hikers on their journey. Clean, welcoming staff, and very well priced. Not for everyone, but it did remind me of youth hostels of my earlier travels. Enough said about that. 

On the bus, I met a chap in his late 40s going home with his young teenage son from their visit to NYC and Boston for World Cup action. He was very complementary about his time in Boston.Among other topics, he recommended to that I have my breakfast at the Ottoman Coffeehouse, along my walk from my lodging to Gear Bikes to get my bicycle hire. Which I did, for excellent strong coffee, pastries,  Indian jazz soundtrack, and  a leather couch to lounge and read until the bike shop opened at 10AM. With sunrise at 4:45 AM, I needed a place to hang for a bit.


Then, a 20 minute walk through Kelvin Grove Park, until I found Gear Bikes on Gibson Street. Old style local bicycle  store packed with bikes for repair, for sale, and for hire. Along with a workshop area with every imaginable tool. Smelled like grease and rubber. Loved it. The mechanic gladly swapped the stock pedals on the Ridgeback Element hybrid with my MKS Touring pedals with toe clips and straps. On the sidewalk, I spent about a half hour affixing my panniers, a wired odometer, a bell, my lights,  and my larger drybag and daypack to the rear rack. Word of caution (from me to me) ... Hand brakes in the UK are reversed from the US ... the left lever activates the rear brakes. Also, keep left (roundabouts will require extra concentration).

Then I was off. Google Maps and Strava activated, Blue Tooth ear bud inserted, off I started for Callander, about 40 road miles to the north. 

Without going into to much detail on the route here (see https://maps.app.goo.gl/pbgcNdTKmQFJStiz7 if you must) the way was picturesque, hilly along the Crow Road, and rainy for a couple of hours. Late lunch in Kippen of sausage rolls, Eccles cakes, and a zero calorie Irn-Bru. All energizing. Some photos along the way. 

Arrived in Callander around 4:30 PM , still raining. Checked in at the Waverly put on some dry clothes and checked out the town. Details can be found at Callander Heritage Trail: Stories in the Stones - Here. Now. All of us. - Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park https://share.google/9Iyi5oTTq2zWAK43k 
Dinner of roasted chicken with haggis stuffing, and a couple of stout beers while watching World Cup action at the Riverside Inn. 
Today's ride:

No comments:

Post a Comment