Thursday, June 25, 2026

Day 7: Whitefield Castle Hunt, Dam, and Culture

Day 7: Pitlochry to Whitefield Castle and return, along with a stroll at the Pitlochry Dam and Fish ladder.

Intense climbs and descents... Descending was more difficult than climbing, but stayed in the saddle throughout. Stopped at the excellent general store in Kirkmichael both ways for snacks and more oatcakes to supplement my hunk of cheddar 🧀. Nice picnic tables in their front garden.

Hard to find the path to Whitefield Castle... Just navigate to 56.7409140, -3.4773670 , park your bike, and walk on the farm road directly west for 1/2 mile or so. You'll find it (I did!). Watch for sheep poop, and remember to close and latch the gate. I couldn't get right next to or inside the ruin, from where I approached it, it was enclosed by barbed wire. Close enough.

On the way back, once in Pitlochry, I visited the Pitlochry Dam, Fish Ladder, and visitor's center. Impressive. The salmon, however, we're not jumping today. 

Dinner and a musical at the Pitlochry Festival Theatre. Excellent production of "Once". It was over at 10PM, plenty of daylight to ride the mile back to my B&B .

Unfortunately, the evening ended with Scotland's 0-3 defeat to Brazil in World Cup action played Miami.

No comments:

Post a Comment