Monday, June 29, 2026

Day 10: Final Day in Glasgow, and a twist

A walking tour at 10:30 with Johnny of https://www.glasgowgander.com/ which was an action packed 3 hours. Johnny is great, and I highly recommend him if you journey to Glasgow.


While having my final lunch in in Scotland (fried haggis and chips at the Johnny recommended Merchant Chippie on the corner of Ingram Street and High Street near Cathedral Square), I received notice that my Glasgow to LHR flight was cancelled, with no new option provided. Air traffic in Europe was a mess due to the heat wave and thunderstorms in London, with over 400 flight cancellations across Europe. So, I was able to assure that my LHR to BOS flight segment would still be honored if I got myself to LHR another way. I booked the train to Edinburgh with transfer to London's King's Cross Station (LGX) on the London North Eastern Railway (LNER) for only 68 quid.

First, I returned my bicycle to Gear Bikes (it was raining during that ride, of course) and the mechanic swapped my pedals off with the originals. The tool kit and bag they supplied was nicked when I locked up the bike for the walking tour at Royal Exchange Square, but they said that happens often, no worries. Glad I didn't have any of my personal kit on the bike at the time. They liked the new wheel I procured in at The Bike Station - Perth

I hung out at my previous night's lodging lounge for a bit and repacked my gear and rested. Took the bus to Queen Street Station in Glasgow, and began my journey to London at 6PM, finally arriving at KGX a few minutes past midnight. London was abuzz --- a Bad Bunny concert has just let out, and England had just beat Panama 2-0 in World Cup action. Tons of people on the Tube. The best way to LHR was the Underground Metropolitan Line to the Harrow-on-the-Hill Underground Station, the night N140 double decker bus to LHR Main Bus Station, a total trip time of about an hour and half plus some wait time for the N140. Anyway, got to Terminal 3 by 2:30 AM or so and was able to check in for my 10 AM flight by 5 AM. Caught a few winks. Not so bad. Many thanks to the Underground worker at KGX who advised me on the best route to take at that hour of the night.










Start of walking tour ... outside the Gallery of Modern Art



The equestrian statue of Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington



Scotty Coned




Johnny leads the tour





Holding things up


Path of the tour




No comments:

Post a Comment