Wait, it ain't over yet! Arrived in Boston at about 12:30 PM on Sunday the 28th --- no problems with the LHR to BOS flight segment. After clearing customs (no wait, no hassle), I found my 1969 Phillips 3 Speed still waiting for me at Terminal E's secure bike rack. Now for the ride home to Gloucester.
A nice day, temperature in the 70's. The way to the Northern Strand in Revere is flat and safe, through East Boston, Chelsea, and Everett. Then, I took the Northern Strand and my usual biking route through Lynn, Swampscott, Marblehead, Salem, Beverly, Manchester (-By-The-Sea , if you must), and Gloucester.
Going up the Salem - Beverly Bridge, was no issue with my 30 pounds of gear (it weighed in at 14 kgs at a scale I found at LHR), but I inadvertently stuck the heal of my right cycling shoe between the pedal and crank arm and the bike's chain guard.. No damage to me, but I totally mangled the old steel chain guard into a contorted shape which wrapped itself around the chain and chainwheel gear. Some guard. Anyway, it took me about 30 minutes to remove the chain guard that was fitted with 2 nuts and bolts that were fully rusted and last turned by a screwdriver in Nottingham, England in 1969. I needed to remove the rear wheel, and I managed to twist and turn the guard back and forth until it snapped off at the fixing clamps. I think I'll need to find another one if I want to refit a guard in the future . But I was fully operable and back on the road cycling having crossed to the Beverly side of the bridge.
I stopped at a lemonade stand run by local kids in on the Marblehead Rail Trail. Good to see industrious kids!
I was bridged in Gloucester for about 10 minutes at the Cut Bridge (perfect!) , and got to Pavilion Beach just as the last 3 contestants where vying for the greasy pole championship. What a roaring crowd at Fiesta!
Home by 7PM, bike unpacked, laundry done, pizza eaten, and that's the end of my journey.
My 1969 Phillips 3 Speed packed up at Logan Terminal E
Damaged chain guard
After prying the chain guard off the bicycle







No comments:
Post a Comment